8.06.2009

Dog Days of Summer

That's right people, I'm taking it back to middle school today. I took a hiatus from public school for middle school. I'm not really sure why my parents decided to do this at the time; but from the horror stories I hear from others and the great friends I have from my private school days, I'm so glad they did.

One great thing that came out of Calvary Baptist Day School was getting to be a cheerleader...tight rolled jeans...the Bible I wrote in and scratched through boys' names during chapel services that my mom recently gave to GoodWill...the time I broke up with a boy because he kissed me on the cheek on the track gym...oh right, the Chetwoods. Eric transferred to Calvary and was the new boy in school that all the girls loved; his mom taught middle school music and was close to if not, the sweetest woman you had ever met. And the whole Chetwood family only wrapped you more and more around their fingers. The Chetwoods have two other fabulous children (and now lots of grandchildren), an all American dog at the time, and all headed up by a dad who just melts your heart. Jeff was the minister at our wedding, and I was so honored to have someone who knew and loved me so well to be such a part of such a big day. All this to say - I met the Chetwoods during middle school, and have very clear memories of music class with Jodie. She always put verses to song for us to memorize, and probably the one that I most remember is:

Joshua 1:8
"Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth.
Meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful
to do everything written in it."

Maybe I say this verse in my sleep, or sent Salem subliminal messages about it recently because last week when I came downstairs in the morning after Bible study at my house, here is what I found:

This may not be the clearest picture ever since I took it with my phone, but I think you get the main idea. She took this verse VERY literally. She is not letting this book depart from her mouth! Unfortunately, this is not her first go around with something like this. When we lived with Becky, she ate Becky's Message. Maybe she was trying to compare the NIV to the Message, or maybe she's trying to be REALLY holy. Or maybe she needs to go to doggie day care because she has so flipping much energy despite the dog park in our back yard and daily walks.

Oh Salem...

Let's hope we can work this out before we move into the new house and have a baby - okay? Okay. Great. Thanks. I'd really like to keep her. Most days.

2 comments:

KatieKate said...

aw, sweet BABY!!! I love that dog!

The Bruces (but most likely the Mrs.) said...

mmm hmm well good because she might need to come stay at texas north for camp or something. do you run fall camps there? are dogs allowed even if they can't go on a ropes course? would you send her home if she maybe ate one of your chickens...?