5.05.2011

Budding Artist

Recently, I got some finger paints for Emerson to try out some new arts and craft activities with her.  She enjoys coloring with crayons and likes playing with sidewalk chalk, but mostly now just likes to carry little nuggets of the sidewalk chalk around like rocks, etc. - you see that this is becoming a theme.  So before bath one night, I stripped her down to her very wet diaper that needed to be changed but I didn't want to waste a diaper change since she was about to get in the bath diaper and we headed outside to avoid too much of a mess inside.

 She wasn't sure how she felt about using her fingers at first, so she just helped me get it set up and then enjoyed dipping the paintbrushes in.  It's amazing how intrinsically kids figure out how to do things; but it also reminds me to appreciate and be so thankful for how intrinisically she figures out how to do so many things because I work with so many children who can't and don't. 



Once she had painted a little with the brush, she let me paint her hands and then made handprints and kept painting with her hands for awhile.  Once she was finished, she was covered in paint from head to toe and was ready to get in the bath.  Lessons learned during this art project: finger paints do come off of cement sidewalks with a simple spray of the hose; Emerson is a great artist; and most of all, I am going to have a hard time not hanging up every single thing that she brings home from preschool.


6 comments:

Kristi Redding said...

I'm so proud of you with all of your blog posts-- LOVE getting regular updates :) You are a braver Mama than me...it will be awhile before we try paint.We have embraced sidewalk chalk. That will have to fulfill Carver's artistic needs for now.

Lynn said...

I adore this!

Emily G. said...

great idea! never tried it this early with N but I think A would love it like Emerson does!

btw....I will just go ahead and tell you...you are right - it is EXTREMELY hard not to savor and hang up every itty bitty little thing they make at "school" or wherever!! go ahead and get a "craft board" like we did for our kitchen....since we ran out of room on our fridge! :)

Gloria said...

These pictures tell it all. An artist in the making. I'd like to think her talent is inherited from me.

Bec said...

Please send me some handprints. Pronto. Thank you in advance.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the new pictures! Thanks for keeping me in fresh pictures for my computer background. It was hard to pick my favorite of these. The baby is as sweet as her mama!!!