1.28.2009

Snow Day


Is there anything better than staying up late to watch the news in hopes of snow and waking up the next morning to find that it really did come? It's almost better than Christmas as a child. And that's what we got last Tuesday. A snow day.

Monday we stayed up watching the news (read: I fell asleep on the couch while Terry watched the Lakers game and talked to his brother on the phone) Monday night. He came and woke me up at 12:30 to tell me it was here! Not sticking yet, but here. So I got up, we bundled up and went on a midnight walk in the dark to watch the snow in the street lights. Salem even got to walk around off her leash to frolic in the snow with us! As we walked back towards the house, I told Terry, "I will remember this always." When we first walked out, with my sweatpants tucked into my socks, I was bummed that I hadn't brought my camera with me. As we kept walking, I was glad, because there are some things I am happy just keeping in my head.

[insert your own photo in your head of a favorite time in the snow]

When the alarm went off Tuesday morning, I rolled over and peeked out the blinds and was so excited to see snow covering the back yard. I called into work and found out we weren't opening until noon. With a little coaxing, I even talked Terry into just going in a few hours late so we could snuggle in. Here in Charlotte, NC, you have to take what you can get for a snow day since we don't get them often. So we snuck around outside before the street was awake and I made Terry be careful not to mess up the snow in the front yard (you know, because when that happens, the magic of the snow is instantly gone). But he did put on an ice skating show on the street.


Then Salem got to run around in the backyard. She hasn't been in the snow since 2007 and we lived in Durham; so it took her awhile to figure it out again and ran all around trying to figure out where to pee - hilarious.

(first photo is 2007; next one is 2009 - maybe plus a few pounds in 2 years!)

We came back in, made eggs and 'fausage' (Terry's word for 'fake' sausage) on English muffins, some yummy juice and tucked in on the sofa until it was time to get up and get back to the real world of work, watch the Inauguration and keep on going. WE LOVE SNOW DAYS.

No comments: