11.03.2008

mom knows best

I like to think that as Terry's wife, I know him best. I've known him since high school, we've been best friends, I've broken his heart, we've promised to love each other forever, I spend most of my waking moments with him. But...we have only be married a year and a half...and I have only known him for 11 years.

A long time, I know.

But, his mom has known him for all of his years. That's why I knew I had to remember that "mom knows best" when it really counted. Last week, it really counted. Terry had two big job/promotion interviews at Lowes and I wanted to make sure he knew I was proud of him and believed in him and thought he deserved the job regardless of if they offered it to him or not. One thing I know as well as his mom knows it, is that the way to Terry's heart is through his stomach! Even though he isn't picky, he does has favorites, and his favorite is his mom's chicken/broccoli/rice casserole that he remembers eating as a kid. I tried to make this once when we lived in Durham...but I didn't go by her recipe, and I tried to be healthy and hip and used the closest version of a Cooking Light recipe that I could find. It did NOT meet his expectations. So last week I pulled out all the stops.


I started with the Bruce family cookbook his mom gave me a few Christmas' ago, where she even wrote in for me that this was his favorite recipe - she knew I would need it to show him a little extra TLC one (or several) time(s)!

I have to admit, it was delicious.

And he was gloriously happy.

And it worked. He got the promotion! Congratulations babe, I'm proud of you and I love you!

1 comment:

Becky said...

you are SUCH a great wife...seriously! I hope Terry knows he is the luckiest man alive.